De Havilland DH.91 Albatross, c/n: 6800
At the outbreak of the Second World War, all seven Albatrosses were moved to Whitchurch airfield, Bristol, from where they operated on the routes to Shannon and Lisbon. In September 1940 the two mail planes, with their longer range, were taken over by the RAF. They were allocated to·No.271 Squadron, and used to fly between Prestwich and Reykjavik. Both of these aircraft were destroyed in crashes at Reykjavik.
Of remaining five, one was destroyed after a forced landing at Pucklechurch, Gloucestershire, in October 1940 and a second during a German air raid in December of the same year. For the next three years, the remaining aircraft continued to operate on the long range passenger routes, until one was destroyed in a crash near Shannon in July 1943. The remaining aircraft were scrapped later in 1943 because of a lack of spares.
Sources: RAF 271 Squadron history,
The Albatross story,
All five occupants were unhurt, but the aircraft was damaged beyond repair.
Manufacturer: De Havilland Canada.
Type: DH, 91 Albatross
Construction No. 6800, Identification No. AX903, Registration: G-AEVV
Operator: 271 RAF Squadron operated the DH Albatross Postal /supply flights in Iceland from September 1940 to April 1942.